Stuffed Fillet Of Beef
If you’re torn between having a traditional festive meal and trying something new, this is the perfect recipe for you. It’s got those lovely Christmas flavours, all wrapped up in a juicy fillet.
1.20kg whole beef fillet
30ml cranberry sauce with whole berries
100g feta cheese
40ml olive oil
10ml freshly chopped thyme
4 cloves garlic, crushed
250ml beef stock
125ml red wine
25ml cranberry sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the fillet in half lengthways, taking care not to cut right through. Open the fillet up. Spread a layer of the cranberry sauce over the bottom half and top with feta cheese. Close the fillet and use a piece of string to secure the meat and keep it closed.
- Brush liberally with olive oil and brown over high heat in a roasting pan or large frying pan. Once browned on all sides, remove from the heat and transfer to a roasting tin.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme and garlic and rub to coat the fillet. Season with salt and pepper and roast in a preheated oven (30 to 40 minutes for medium, or longer if you prefer it well done).
- Remove the fillet from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes, while you make the sauce.
- Heat the roasting tin on the stove. Add the butter and stir to melt, then add the stock, red wine and cranberry sauce. Simmer for about five minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove the string from the fillet and slice into 1cm-thick slices. Serve immediately with your accompanying dishes and the sauce on the side.
Adapted from Food24